This week on License to Parent with Trace Embry… Trace Embry and Rich Roszel welcome Dr. Leonard Sax, a Christian Medical Doctor and Psychologist, who spent 18 years in private practice and most recently has written a number of books including the one we’re discussing today, The Collapse of Parenting, a New York Times Best-Seller.
We have been saying for some time now that today’s teens are becoming iSlaves. The lure of pop culture has taken them in that the many trappings of our day now control them, rather than the other way around. And parents are becoming enslaved as well. No longer do we look to Scripture for answers and guidance. Instead, we turn to Oprah, Dr. Phil, Google and Facebook for our cues. It’s no wonder we’re rapidly progressing backwards as a culture.
Today’s topics include:
- The rights and privileges of kids vs. the rights and privileges of parents.
- What is the purpose of childhood?
- How do we change culture without being changed by culture?
- Why is it so important to teach “culture” to our kids?
- How much influence does music have on our kids’ attitudes?
- The balance of family time vs. friend time.
- How do we educate desire in our kids? And what does that mean?
- A culture of disrespect.
- Is it too late to start making changes in the family dynamic?
- Using medicine to correct a disrespectful child.
You can find out more about Dr. Leonard Sax and his books online at Amazon.com.
Shop SmileAmazon, and .5% of your purchases go to Shepherds Hill Academy. Share your thoughts on today’s program at our Facebook Fan Page, on Twitter @licensetoparent, or by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Subscribe to our blog, Insight for Today’s Culture. Also, if you’d like to give a gift of support to help families discover more about finding hope and healing through Christ-centered, practical parenting advice, please click on our “Donate” button.