This week on License to Parent with Trace Embry… Trace Embry and Rich Roszel talk about the role of youth groups in raising our kids. It seems that many parents are abdicating certain responsibilities that should be theirs to the youth pastor. Meanwhile, many churches are failing to understand the role youth groups should have in our kids lives, and instead, turning them into pizza parties that major on entertainment and minor in spiritual nourishment. Our guest on today’s program is Dr. Alex McFarland, author, apologist, and former youth pastor.
Today’s topics include:
- Do we rely on churches too much to be the surrogate spiritual parents?
- Are Youth Groups effective in making lifelong disciples?
- What are kids really looking for when they visit a church or youth group?
- What should parents do to make lifelong disciples of their kids?
- What should we look for in a healthy youth group?
- How can we foster a better learning and spiritual environment within youth groups?
- How can parents foster a better spiritual environment within the home?
You can learn more about Alex McFarland, his books, his ministry and his conferences at AlexMcFarland.com. He’s also involved with Jason Jimenez in the Stand Strong apologetics conferences. More information is available on those at StandStrongTour.com.
Shop SmileAmazon, and .5% of your purchases go to Shepherds Hill Academy. Share your thoughts on today’s program at our Facebook Fan Page, on Twitter @licensetoparent, or by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Subscribe to our blog, Insight for Today’s Culture. Also, if you’d like to give a gift of support to help families discover more about finding hope and healing through Christ-centered, practical parenting advice, please click on our “Donate” button.