This week on License to Parent with Trace Embry… Trace Embry and Rich Roszel discuss manners with Jill Rigby Garner, founder of Manners of the Heart, an organization based in Baton Rouge, LA and dedicated to teaching proper etiquette to kids. Garner also wrote Raising Unselfish Children in a Self-Absorbed World, and many other books and materials on the subjects of manners and etiquette.
Today’s topics include:
- Character change through the learning of proper etiquette
- Cultural manners vs moral manners, and how culture influences etiquette
- The motives of our manners
- Tips and tricks to training polite and respectful kids
- How acting respectfully benefits a child’s psyche
- Curse words vs. course words, and the case against sarcasm
- Children’s needs and questions at different stages of development
- Recognize the 4 stages of parenting your kids, i.e., tots, tykes, tweens & teens
You can learn more about Jill Rigby Garner and find her books at her site, JillRigbyGarner.com. You can learn a lot more about her organization, Manners of the Heart, at MannersOfTheHeart.org. You can also find many of her books and Manners of the Heart materials and curriculum through Amazon.com.
Shop SmileAmazon, and .5% of your purchases go to Shepherds Hill Academy. Share your thoughts on today’s program at our Facebook Fan Page, on Twitter @licensetoparent, or by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Subscribe to our blog, Insight for Today’s Culture. Also, if you’d like to give a gift of support to help families discover more about finding hope and healing through Christ-centered, practical parenting advice, please click on our “Donate” button.